Upcoming Events, Articles, and News at Marco Island
Marco Island website: Welcome to Marco Island, Florida
Marco Island is the largest of Florida's Ten Thousand Islands, located on the Gulf of Mexico in Southwest Florida. It has been described as Magical, Mystical and Alluring. The attraction is tropical sun-washed white beaches and a casual easy paced life style. Sunshine, frolicking dolphins, and all of the water and sun sports that go with the beaches are available for your pleasure.
The restaurants will delight your taste buds with fresh seafood and their wonderful island creations. Explore the wilderness of the Ten Thousand Islands by land, boat or air. Enjoy superb fishing and abundant wildlife.
Nestled in the mangrove islands of southwest Florida's coast, Marco Island is indeed a world-class resort destination surrounded by miles and miles of pristine, uninhabited islands, bays, creeks, and the Gulf of Mexico. To the north is the Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve and its Briggs Memorial Nature Center. To the south lies the sprawling 10,000 Islands with over 70 coastal miles of fly fishing heaven, inhabited only by the tiny fishing villages of Goodland, Everglades City, Chokoloskee and eventually Flamingo. Included in this southerly stretch is Collier-Seminole State Park, the 10,000 Islands National Wildlife Refuge, Fakahatchee Strand State Preserve, Big Cypress National Preserve and the 5000 square mile Everglades National Park, ensuring continued protection against coastal development.
Marco Island has retained much of the natural beauty of its beginning when the Calusa Indians inhabited the island over 5,000 years ago. Lush tropical foliage and over 200 species of birds including the American Bald Eagle are found here providing opportunities for birdwatching as well as outdoor enthusiasts. The azure waters of the Gulf invite boaters to spend endless hours in the sun, whether to fish or just relax! In addition to boating and fishing, there is shelling snorkeling, windsurfing, ecotours and shopping - something for everyone!
5 Fun Things to Do in Marco Island
By: Kara Franker
- Walk along the sandy shoreline and hunt for the perfect seashell. The Paradise Coast is famous for its shell-laden beaches.
- Get adventurous and book a waverunner tour of Ten Thousand Islands, where you could see dolphins, manatees and sea turtles. Tours at Marco Island Water Sports leave right from the beach at the Marriott's property.
- Hit the pool or a hammock for some R&R. Or indulge in a little pampering and book a therapeutic massage at the Marco Island Marriott Spa. There's also a private spa pool that provides a tranquil place to rest and catch some rays.
- Set sail aboard a six-passenger catamaran as a captain escorts you on a two-and-a-half hour unforgettable journey along the shimmering Gulf of Mexico.
- Head to Quinn's on the Beach for the nightly fire-dancer show at sunset. Watch for the Green Flash; supposedly on certain nights a flash of green light will race across the sky as the sun makes its final decent into the horizon.