Enjoy it in a Ski Condo….
Now that ski season is here it’s a great time to book a ski vacation! The resorts are opening and there is lots of snow in the forecast for this winter. A variety of rental accommodations are available for you to enjoy after a day of skiing, tubing, skating or tobogganing. Take your family or friends, and enjoy relaxing in front of a cozy fire or soaking your muscles in a hot tub. Owner Direct can help you find the right cabin or condo for your needs. Here are some tips for some of our favourite resorts.
Big White, famous for its ‘snow ghosts‘ and light fluffy powder, offers plenty of lodging options on the mountain but you can also choose to stay in Kelowna to enjoy the city amenities. To get the most value out of your ski holiday at Big White:
- Purchase multi-day tickets and save $10/day. Prices also include night skiing.
- Redeem your Air Miles for a lift ticket (with no blackout dates) 525 air miles get you one full day lift ticket. Pretty sweet deal!
The Okanagan is famous for its delicious wines so why not plan your ski holiday around one of two wine tastings events at Big White: Big Reds takes place December 7th and 8th, while Big Whites takes place March 23rd. Both events offer a selection of locally inspired appetizers.
Rated one of the top ski resorts in North America, Whistler-Blackcomb should be on every skier’s list to experience at least once. Vacations can be expensive and we all like a deal so here are few tips on how to save:
- Purchase an Edge Card (available only to Canadians and residents of Washington State). These are preloaded passes available for 1, 3, 5 or 10 days of skiing during the 2012-13 season (with no blackout periods) at discounted prices.
- Alternatively pre-purchase your ski passes and save. Savings depend on the length of the ski pass and when you are skiing. For instance, purchase an 8 day ski pass good until December 14th and you would save 27% off the regular price.
- Kids under 6 ski free!
Park City, Utah is famous for its epic snow and first class service. When planning your Park City ski holiday, there is a variety of rental lodging mountainside as well as in nearby Salt Lake City. Park City Mountain offers a variety of ways to save. One of the most original allows you to convert your boarding pass into a same-day lift ticket. This applies to Park City Mountain as well as Deer Valley Resort and the Canyons Resort.
There are a number of prestigious events held throughout the season, which you may want to consider when planning your trip:
- SkiFest, where you can enjoy skiing with Olympians, TV & film stars, takes place Dec 8-9th.
- For more celebrity spotting visit during the Sundance Film Festival, January 17th – 27th.
- Freestyle World Cup, a premier ski event including aerial and mogul competitions, will be held January 30 to February 2, 2013.
Enjoy some of the best skiing east of the Rockies at Mont Tremblant, about 90 minutes from Montreal, Quebec. There are a variety of ways to save. If you won’t be a frequent visitor to the mountain consider the following offers:
- The Latitude Card requires you to purchase your tickets at least 48 hours in advance but you can save up to 34%.
- School break offer where kids (6 to 17 yrs) ski for 5 days for $99.
Sun Valley offers some stunning and challenging terrain and is known for its perfect pitch mountain slope. Ticket prices are based on the time of year with peak periods being the most expensive. Ticket prices can be cheaper when purchasing multi-day passes, and there are also discounts for military and local residents.
Sun Valley features a variety of events held throughout the year. Consider planning your ski holiday to enjoy one of these:
- USSA Freestyle Spectacular featuring a mogul competition on Bald Mountain, and slope style and half-pipe on Dollar Mountain on January 10th to 13th, 2013.
- Transworld Snow Conference, March 11th to 15th, 2013.
- Rev Tour (March 17th to 22nd) which attracts international competitors for skier-x, half-pipe and slope style events.
Panorama Mountain is featuring one of the best deals this season, the “Snowcard”, open to all skiers and boarders. The Snowcard is good for 4 days of skiing or riding (although there are some blackout periods). An adult card is $149, which works out to $37.25 for a full day of fun! What a deal!
There are also several family events held at Panorama that you may want to consider when planning:
- Snowflake Festival, January 19-20th, with fun activities for the entire family including a torchlight parade.
- Mardi Gras, February 8-9th, with some fabulous food and activities for kids including mask making.
- Stampede, March 9-10th, complete with cowboy cookouts and rodeo events for the whole family.
Where is your favourite mountain to ski or board? Do you have any deals to share with other readers?