So you’ve decided you are going on a vacation to Tuscany, Italy. Well, you’ve come to the right place. Tuscany has plenty to offer for every tourist, whether you prefer sightseeing, outdoor adventures, or other activities. Tuscany’s landscape is dotted with olive groves, rolling hills and many old places, making it a place of magnificent beauty. In Tuscany, there are ancient towns that have plenty of Roman or Renaissance art for your eyes to admire and feast on. But there are plenty of other exciting activities as well.
Here are our recommendations for things to do in Tuscany:
- Sign up for an art class: Many arts schools in the region offer art classes that will allow you to experience and enjoy painting, pottery lessons, drawing, mosaics, ceramics and sculpture instructions. Many of these schools also offer all-inclusive packages where accommodation, meals and other fun lessons and activities are added to your art classes. Learn straight from Italian masters and appreciate art more by signing up for their art classes.
- Sign up for a cooking class and learn how to prepare Tuscany cuisines: Learn how to make pasta from scratch the Tuscan way or learn more about wines. There are short term cooking classes that last an afternoon or the entire day, and there are longer ones that can last up to a week. Learn how the Tuscan cuisine and delicacies you come across on your vacation are cooked and prepared. That way, you can bring your knowledge home and experience a mini Tuscany vacation every once in a while by cooking those dishes at home. Wouldn’t that be nice?
- Go to Sienna: A very popular town since the medieval times, this is where you can find popular piazzas such as the Piazza del Campo. Here you can let time pass by and just enjoy simple activities such as watching people, enjoying a glass of wine or cup of coffee, and simply relaxing for as long as you want. For a more breathtaking view of the area, you may also climb to the top of the bell tower.
- Go biking: Whether you are an experienced cyclist or someone who simply wants to enjoy seeing the natural beauty of the surroundings while riding a bike, Tuscany is definitely a perfect place for biking. Biking is in fact a popular tourist activity in the area and often you will find many other tourists doing the same. Tuscany is known to be hilly and the plains are often found near the river and the coastal areas. This is perfect for experienced cyclists because it means they are bound to meet some challenges along the way. As a trivia, many cycling legends actually trained here such as Bartali and Bettini. If you’re only out to enjoy the surroundings, you don’t have to worry. Simply go off roads on your mountain bike to get away from traffic and to have a better view of the surroundings.
- Go wine tasting in Chianti: Arguably the best wines in Tuscany are in Chianti. You should taste the red wine from the loyal vineyards in the region. You can drive by yourself and search for these local vineyards or sign up for a wine tasting tour for a more organized experience. Not only will you enjoy tasting those wines but you will also enjoy the scenery. It’s a beautiful place to explore.
- Go shopping and dining: Tuscany is a great shopping destination in Italy. There are lots of outlets in the area where you can shop for branded and Italian fashion designer clothes or shoes. You will also find many hand-crafted items that are perfect gifts and souvenirs. While shopping, you can also taste some of the Tuscany dishes such as the famous cheese from Pienza known as Pecorino cheese or perhaps the panforte as well as the ricciarelli biscuits from Siena.
- Discover the beauty of Maremma: Enjoy a week-long vacation in the Maremma region and discover villages, the seaside and the food. Don’t miss going to the thermal baths in Saturnia, a beautiful town in Maremma with waters that are known to be therapeutic. A waterfall is also available for the public to enjoy.
A vacation in Tuscany is about more than visiting museums or seeing works of art. We already know Tuscany to be rich on those museums and arts but there are plenty of other things to do in Tuscany, guaranteed to bring fun and excitement to your vacation. Try them!